In recent years, social media platforms have become a hub for beauty enthusiasts to share skincare tips and trends. One such trend gaining popularity on TikTok is “skin flooding.” Unlike some viral beauty fads, dermatologists approve of this technique due to its potential benefits for the skin. In this article, we will delve into what skin flooding is and why it’s generating buzz among skincare aficionados.
Understanding Skin Flooding
Skin flooding is a technique that involves drenching your face with a lightweight, hydrating serum. Unlike traditional methods where a small amount of product is used, skin flooding encourages users to be more generous with their serum application. The aim is to saturate the skin with moisture, creating a barrier that locks in hydration and enhances the overall complexion.
Benefits Of Skin Flooding
- Intense Hydration: By applying a copious amount of serum, skin flooding provides a surge of hydration to the skin. It is especially beneficial for individuals with dehydrated skin types.
- Improved Barrier Function: The increased moisture content helps strengthen the skin’s natural barrier, which is crucial in defending against environmental aggressors and retaining moisture.
- Enhanced Absorption of Active Ingredients: With a well-hydrated canvas, subsequent skincare products are better absorbed, allowing active ingredients to penetrate deeper and work more effectively.
- Plump and Radiant Skin: Skin flooding can lead to a plumper, more youthful complexion, and well-hydrated skin tends to look healthier and more radiant.
How To Skin Flood Safely
- Start with Clean Skin: Begin with a clean face to ensure the serum can be absorbed effectively.
- Choose the Right Serum: Opt for a hydrating serum containing ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, or ceramides. Avoid serums with potentially irritating additives.
- Apply Liberally: Using clean hands, gently pat a generous amount of serum onto your face, neck, and décolletage.
- Lock in Moisture: Follow up with a moisturizer to seal the hydration.